Friday, September 22, 2006

Jobs in Iceland


I have settled in my new life in Reykjavik. I have my favourite grocery shop, I don't have to look for the rooms my lectures are in, I even managed to find out where to print on the campus. High time to find a job. Now how do you do that in Iceland. Don't answer to job announcements in the newspaper. I did so and didn't even get a reply. What I did was to apply for a job at Foss Hotel (a hotel chain throughout Iceland) although they repeatedly say on their webpage that they do not hire people out of season.
Anyway... I sent my CV and 10 min. my cellphone rang. So I met up with Axel, the responsible for Fosshotel Baron in Reykjavik. After 5min. of smalltalk he not only offered me a weekend job as a receptionist at his hotel, but he also rang up some friend of his who happens to be the head waiter at the Hereford Steikhus. So Axel also got me a waitressing job at this top restaurant. Oh... I nearly forgot. He also offered me a full time job in summer time. Either in a Reykjavik Hotel or wherever in the countryside. NOTA BENE: this after a 5min. conversation with me :o) Icelandic people are just great! AND before I left he added that if these 2 jobs where not enough, he could easily find some more work for me!

So yesterday night I had my first day at the Hereford Steikhús. I got there, got my working dress and started straight away. The team is awesome! It's all young people between 25-35 and like a great family. I received such a warm welcome that I felt like home straight away. The place is really nice - notice the photos or have a look at the homepage: www.hereford.is
After my shift I got the official offer to get a permanent job there and then I got a hug from each of them - just like a family :o) I do admit that I've been extremely lucky with my jobs lately!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home