Friday, November 10, 2006

Icelandic parking customs

If Italy holds the world record in being the nation with the worst car driver - the statistics definitely forgot to have a look at this tiny little island in the middle of the north Atlantic. Icelanders are much worse! BELIVE ME! Underneath I'm leaving some photos of the Icelandic parking customs. Nobody takes notice of parking meters or parking lots. You drive into town, park the car (if possible half in the street or on the pavement). I've never seen more damaged cars anywhere else. You hardly find a car in Reykjavík that doesn't have any dented fender or scatches all over. Amazingly if you observe the people: they just park the car outside the building they want to go in - for example a restaurant and they don't even think one minute that the pavement in front of this building is now being blocked by their car! Unbelievable! Another phenomenon is the custom to stop and chat if you meet a friend. Lately I was walking down Njarðargata, a fairly busy road, when a car suddenly started blowing the horn at me and stopped so abruptly that the car behind nearly crashed into it. Inside I found Hjalti and Gunni who started chatting with me for about 10 min. blocking the whole traffic. I felt clearly uncomfortable, being the cause for this blockage and tried to "get rid" of my two friends as I was going to see them later that day at work. But the two continued to chat happily about different stories while the other cars waited. Crazy world!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home